I have total sympathy for Ben.
When I was in 1st grade, I hated the loud fire alarm. I would be scared to death going to the bathroom because I always thought the fire alarm would sound while I was in the bathroom and I would be stuck in there while the school burned down. I was petrified ... I remember really being afraid ... so I would always try to get a friend to go to the bathroom with me so I wouldn't be so anxioius. One particular time I remember well is when I asked Sally Guyer to go to the restroom at the same time I did. She was nice enough to go along. Of course she went to the girls' room and I went to the boys'.
Today, on his way to class, Ben over heard a girl say that there was going to be a fire drill. He too is frightened to death of the loud fire alarm. After class started, the anxiety was too much. He broke down into a bucket of tears. His teacher calmed him and found out the reason behind the tears. She reassured him there was nothing to be afraid of. She told him that every time there was going to be a fire drill she would whisper into his ear before so he could prepare. This did the trick. He was great the rest of the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Oh, poor Ben. What a good teacher though to find the problem out and have a solution!
Awww....I even get scared when those fire alarms go off! Last year I grabbed my purse and headed out the door-completely forgetting that I was the teacher! LOL...glad the kids thought it was funny. I was a bit embarrassed.
Oh, I miss Ben - What a cutie!! I'm so glad his teacher made him feel better!
I never had to ask a girl to go to the bathroom with me, since I had Shon and Kelly at the same school as me. But I do remember Shon once convincing me in first grade to go into the girls bathroom. What a convincing cousin.
Post a Comment