I'm sure some of you will chuckle at my recent fury of movie reviews wondering where I find the time to watch movies. The truth is, during these long, slow nights in a data center, a good movie is the antidote to dull boredom, especially when my eyes tire of reading.
Anyway ... I few years ago I read McCullough's book. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot about our nation's history. I was deeply impressed with all that John Adams accomplished as one of our Founding Fathers.
The miniseries was fashioned after the book. I had read up on the miniseries and one of the things the producer and director wanted to accomplish was to show the realities of the harshness of that era. I think the series did a great job of this ... or at least it felt like I was transported back to that time. As I watched, I could feel the bitter cold of those winters; the pain of watching a man be tarred and feathered; people dealing with sickness, fevers, pox as well and what was endured with no modern science. That John Adams lived almost to 91 is simply amazing.
I enjoyed watching how they developed the relationship between Adams and Jefferson. Their attitudes were such polar opposites, yet they had such a close friendship.
Hamilton played a large part during Adam's presidency. I never knew much about Hamilton. After seeing his character in the series, I did some searching and read quite a bit about him.
Overall, it was an exceptional series. I really enjoyed it, felt inspired by it and learned more about our great nation's history.
The series ends with John Adams talking to posterity. In the movie he said, "Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it."
I did some searching and found the original quote by John Adams: "Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Ben and I love this series...we went and bought it at Best Buy the second it came out! Thanks for the review :)
This has been on my list of videos to watch...Thank you for your review, Don.
I am at my parents house this week and we just finished it last night. Funny you are reviewing it!
You continue to touch your parent's hearts with your reviews and personal insight. Thank you !!
Post a Comment