Sunday, July 27, 2008

Review: The Dark Knight

The last time I went to an IMAX theater was in Zion's when Mom and Dad took me just after I got off my mission. So I had forgotten what IMAX is like. One of the first shots in the film is an aerial view of "Gotham" (I think it was actually Chicago) and it kind of took my breath away. All my eyes could see was the screen. You are "in" the movie the whole time.

Anyway ... the movie was awesome! Everyone has been raving about how great a job Ledger did with the Joker and they are spot on with their opinions. I've never seen a more evil villain. Anton Chigurh from "No Country for Old Men" is up there, but the Joker from The Dark Knight tops him.

The plot was very good. I'm not a professional movie critic, but I thought the story line was pretty good. I got lost a couple of times, but for the most part, to me the story was believable.

The action sequences, the Batmobile, the Bat-bike and all the gadgets Batman used were cool as expected.

As for that WSJ article and the comparison of Batman with GWB ... I agree. In fact despite the symbolism of it all, it really wasn't symbolistic. They discussed themes that are very relevant to the war on terror as we know it today.

When I was done watching all two and a half hours of it, I liked it so much, I was ready to make a short pit stop and then go watch it again. I think I'll be going again this week on my seven days off.

One other thought ... Jill and I have been watching all the past seasons of "24" We are in the middle of season two currently. But I told Jill that The Dark Knight is a lot like 24 where they are flashing between multiple scenes and plots at the same time. The movie doesn't have the multiple screens up, but they do flash between scenes and back again very quickly which gave the movie a very fast pace. You sit on the edge of your seat a lot of the time.

5 comments:

Jack and Charlene said...

Thanks for the review. As we will probably never see it on IMAX or any other theater ... we appreciated your comments. On the "24" series ... Do you think they set us all up for the first Black President with that show? As I remember he seemed like a more conservative Pres. than the one running now?????

Unknown said...

Now you have me intrigued... we'll have to go check it out.
I see you are 24 fans. Just a fun fact: my good friend here in Iowa is related to Ricky Schroeder. It's her brother in law.

Shelly Kenison said...

You've got me really interested. I think Brandon and I are going to have to have a date night here soon!

Matt Karla & Alex said...

Okay so no comment on the movie review, but Jill, I can't believe how much your oldest daughter looks like you!! Quite an attractive family. Hopefully we'll get to see each other soon. Thanks for letting me see your blog.

Karla

Vanessa said...

Thanks for the review :) We will definitely be renting it because Ben has "Movie Narcolepsy"...and I can't bring myself to waste $20 for Ben to fall asleep!