Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Four Basic Things

The other night, I was lying in bed reading with Emma. We were reading a book that Grandma and Grandpa Putnam gave us about the revolutionary war. She was wondering why there were so many wars in the history of our country. I gave her some reasons and told her that a lot of it was because men wanted more power and more money. Here is our conversation. . .

Emma: Why do people want so much money?

Me: They want to buy stuff I guess

Emma: Gosh, Mom, there are really just four basic things people need.

Me: Oh, what are those?

Emma: food, shelter, clothing, and love (I think she has been learning about this in Social Studies, and she was convinced this was all they needed!)

Me: Well, you are right Emma those are four basic needs that everyone must have. The problem is that you get kids and they want stuff like wii's and nintendo DS and cell phones and Ipods and stuff and so then you need more money.

Emma: No mom, all people really need are those four basic things, besides, I really don't want all that stuff, just heely's!

Well, that clears it up!

7 comments:

Marie said...

That is so cute. I love the things kids say, they are just so innocent.

Tonight we went to the Draper Temple Open House and as we were watching the video before going into the Temple it reminded me of your wedding and how Don came out and hugged me after your sealing, making me feel better about "losing" one of my best friends. And it reminded me how much I do miss you. I wish we lived closer, but I am glad for things like our blogs that keep us somewhat connected. Your family is darling and it is always fun to read about them.

Jack and Charlene said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful conversation with Emma. Such a smart young lady, but keep this Blog in file to review with her as needed !!

Holly, Brad & Maddie Marianno said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Briana Carr said...

hahaha I LOVED this. :D


p.s.
what size is emma...
my feet are way bigger than
hers but I have a pair of
heelys that I need to ditch
SOON :D

apparently boys don't like girls with childish-shoes that have wheels on the bottom...

TxCrows said...

very cute! I wish it was that simple don't you?

Mary said...

hee. hee. :)

Kimber said...

That's really cute. I love how kids think and wish everything in life could be so innocent and simple! I didn't know you guys were moving. It sounds like this is a good thing. Good luck with it all!