Friday, March 18, 2011

I walked right by it and didnt notice.

Scared the crap out of me when I did see it. I think it is a yellow bellied water snake.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Are those poisonous?

Jack and Charlene said...

Don' I think you better get polished-up on your reptilian neighbors; and know what you are about to step on!! Dad

Don said...

If it is a Yellow-bellied water snake, it is not poisonous.

There are four main venemous snakes in Houston ... the Coral, Diamondback, Copperhead and Cottonmouth. I know what they all look like except for the cottonmouth. We had a copperhead in our back yard last year ... a tiny one. I've seen a BIG dead diamondback, but I've never seen a Coral or Cottonmouth.

So when I saw this one, the first thought was 'cottonmouth?' But it wasan't ... I looked it up on line and cottonmouth's have stripes ... this one didn't.

Even still - it's be biggest live snake i've seen in our back yard our around our house.